THE 14TH CONSTABULARY REGIMENT
The 14th Cavalry Group Mechanized, the
preceding unit, had the unique distinction
of being commanded for the month of January 1946 by a Lieutenant George D.
Crosby and in the month of February 1946 by a Captain James C. McConnell.
As of 20 February 1946 the 14th Cavalry
Group came under the control of
Headquarters United States Constabulary with Colonel Louis J. Compton,
Commanding. It was reorganized and redesignated as the 14th United States
Constabulary Regiment with the following units assigned. 10th Infantry Battalion.
22nd and 27th Armored Artillery Battalions. These units became the 10th, 22nd
and 27th Constabulary Squadrons. The Squadrons were initially located at:
10th Squadron Headquarters along with Regimental Headquarters at Kitzingen.
The individual troops were located as follows: A Troop at Lohr; B Troop at
Elsenfeld; C Troop at Ochsenfurt, D Troop at Fritzlar and E Troop at Kitzengen.
22nd Squadron was at Hammelburg with the Troops stationed as follows:
A Troop at Melrickstadt; B & C Troops at Hammelburg; D Troop at Bad Neustadt
and E Troop at Ostheim.
The 27th Squadron was at Schweinfurt
with A & B Troops at Marolisweisach;
C Troop at Schweinfurt; D Troop at Koenigshofen and E Troop at Schweinfurt.
When the 1st and 3rd Regiments with
their assigned squadron were deactivated
many changes occurred in the 14th. Many transfers were made and personnel
from the 1st and 3rd filled in empty spaces in the 14th. It was at this time when
the first of the many moves the 14th and its units were to make over the next five
years before finally settling down.
The Regiment and the 10th Squadron found
themselves at Fritzlar, the 22nd at Bad
Hersfeld and the 27th at Darmstadt. During this period of time all the units pulled
their share of "Border Patrol, Check Point and Displaced Camp Duty".
At this time the Regiment was Commanded
by Colonel Edward J. Malony and had
probably one of the finest Executive Officers in Lt. Col. Kurt G. Radtke both were
Infantry. But we won't hold that against them.
During the period of transition from
Constabulary duty the Regiment was
Commanded by Colonel John L. Ryan Jr. the right choice in implementing the
reorganization that was being directed by the new Constabulary Commanding
General: Major General I.D. White.
A little personal note about Colonel
Ryan, he took cooks, clerks and some others
from Headquarters and during an "Aggressor period" went out and "Captured" the
Colors of the 18th Infantry Regiment.
During this period the Squadrons were
again redesignated and were assigned back
to their original units. The 1st Battalion was the old 10th Squadron, the 2nd
Battalion was originally the 1st Squadron of the 1st Regiment and the 6th Squadron
of the 6th Regiment became the 3rd Battalion.
The Regiment and the Battalions moved
to Friedberg, Gelnhausen, Fulda, Coburg
and Hersfeld. But, really the units were spending time at various training facilities
The Regiment and its units were augmented
by the 373rd Armored Infantry
Battalion, the 547th Combat Engineer Battalion and some Ordnance units
Many fine men had Command of the Regiment
among them Colonels James B.
Quill;and Chandler P. Robbins. It goes without saying that many great things were
accomplished because great leadership.
Those of us that served in any of these
Units can be justly proud that we served to
instill democracy and fair play in those that we came to protect and serve. There
were times that we want to forget but there are many things that we can be proud
of . The Berlin Airlift and the "Vittles Bowl Football Game" for the children of
We can be justly proud of the fact there was never a courts-martial for theft during
WE WERE THE BEST OF THE ELITE
By William Tevington