Neil Aikin

Regimental Headquarters

United States Constabulary
Army of Occupation Germany

Rothwesten - Constabulary training - Feb. 1947
Darmstadt - 14th Constabulary Squadron -July 1947
Fritzlar - 14th A/C Reg. U. S. Constabulary - Dec. 1947-1949
Korea - 1950 - 1952
April 1, 1951 awarded the Bronze Star for Valor and Purple Heart.
B. Aug., 28, 1929 Lakewood, OH.
D. Nov., 12, 2007 Las Angeles, CA.


To contact the family write to Sue Aikin,

Written by Neil Aikin

     I entered the Army in Los Angeles, CA on September 23, 1946 so I could take advantage of the GI Bill which would be expiring at the end of the year.  By enlisting for 3 years, I would get full benefits.  I was sent to Camp Beale (now Beale AFB) in Marysville, CA.  Within a week I was sent to Camp (now Fort) Polk, LA for basic training.  By the time I arrived there, the government decided to close the facility down.  So, they transferred me to Camp (now Fort) Lee, VA.  Upon completion of  8 weeks Basic Training, I was shipped to Camp Kilmer, NJ to await shipment to Germany.  I shipped over on a General ship.  The voyage was to take no more than a week.  Due to storms the trip took 2 weeks.  We ran extremely low on rations & when we arrived in Bramerhaven we were all starving.  After a brief stay in the kaserne, I was sent to Marburg.  From there I was sent to Rothwestern.  When the train arrived in Kassel, I saw the extent of the damage it suffered from WWII. It was February, 1947, the worst winter Europe had experienced in many years.  Being from California, I never realized what cold was until then. 
     I was to take Constabulary training in Rothwestern for a period of 8 weeks.  After about 3 weeks, I was asked if I wanted to become a radio operator.  It meant an assignment to the 7718 EUCOM Signal School in Ansbach.  It was located just a few kilometers outside of Nurnburg.  While there I came down with Diphtheria. I spent 11 weeks in the 385th Station Hospital in Nurnburg.  The 'Dip' ward was guarded around the clock by MP's.  I found out that 'Red' the guy in the bed next to me was the reason for the guards.  He was awaiting a Generals Court-martial.  It seems he was assigned to guard Hermann Goering during his trial there in Nurnburg. When he came on duty he and the guard he was relieving awakened Goering to assure he was OK.  When Red's relief came Goering was dead from a cyanide capsule he had somehow secreted in his cell.  Red was being court-martialed for dereliction of duty.  I never found out the outcome.
     I returned to school & finished with an MOS of 0740. (intermediate speed radio operator).
     It served me well throughout the balance of my career.

     I was assigned to A Troop, 14th Constabulary Squadron in Darmstadt in July 1947.  By December of that year, I had been admitted no less than 6 times to 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt with Tonsillitis.  When I finally got the tonsils removed my outfit was tired of my trips to the hospital so they transferred me to Regimental Headquarters in Fritzlar.  I was in The Radio Section, Hq Troop, 14th Constabulary Regiment where I extended my tour for 1year. It was at that time I met Gil Matherne who would be my roomate until he rotated back to the ZI in August of '49. I was honored to be his best man when he married Elizabeth.  Bill Tevington was also there during that time. I was sent home on an emergency furlough when My father had passed away in December, 1949.

     After a 30-day furlough, I was assigned to Hq Co, 1st Bn, 38th Inf, 2nd Division in Fort Lewis, WA as Bn Radio Chief to wait out my 7 month balance of duty. 3 days before I was to be discharged, President Truman froze discharges for 1 year.  By then  the Division was alerted to be shipped to Korea. In August of 1950 my Division sailed for Korea, landing at Pusan on August 19, 1950.  By then only 17 miles of Korea was not controlled by the North Koreans.  What was left was called the Pusan Perimeter along the Naktong River.  On September 18, the 38th Infantry Regiment spearheaded a breakthrough ending in Seoul and joining with the Marines who had landed at Inchon.  By November, the Division had pushed their position to about 55 miles north of Kunu-ri.  It was at this time that the Chinese Army entered the "Conflict".  After attacking the 2nd Division's Quartermaster Depot 55 miles behind the main line of resistance at Kunu-ri, the Division's forward elements " attacked to the rear" and lost almost 3000 men.  The retreat ended at Seoul where we spent Christmas and regrouped.

     On April 1, 1951 I was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor.  On February 12 my outfit was pinned down in the vicinity of Hoengsong. Using my radio, I called  in air strikes and artillery fire on the enemy for almost 7 hours.
     On the 28th of May 1951 at Hyong-Ni, I was shot point blank while sitting in a jeep, by a Chinese soldier using an American 30 caliber carbine on full automatic.  The first bullet glanced off my dog tags leaving a piece in my neck with the second bullet entering my left shoulder.

     I was air evaced from a MASH unit to Tokyo, Japan for a one month stay prior to being shipped home on a C54 MATS hospital litter plane. I spent from 2 July 1951 to 29 February 1952 at Camp Cook Station Hospital, CA. (now Vandenburg AFB) where I was put on permanent medical disability retirement.

I retired in 1992 after 32 years with Litton Guidance & Controls Division in Woodland Hills, CA.
Neil Aikin

Page updated June 22, 2008:
A note from the Editor Irene Moore. Neil Aikin passed away Nov. 12, 2007.  May he rest in peace. Visit our website TAPS.

Home Page