Dated March 1 2007
United States Constabulary Association


Folks, forwarded is an advisory on a Social Security benefit. Please
feel free to forward this to all folks who have served on active duty
who are entitled to this benefit but must ask for it.
If you have questions regarding this email or any other legal assistance
matter, you can schedule an appointment to see a legal assistance
attorney by contacting the Newport NLSO at 841-3766 or the Groton NLSO
at 860-694-3741 x4.
CDR Brill
All CNET approved by Deputy/COS


There is a little known program/benefit for people
who've served in the military prior to Jan 2002. In a nutshell it boils
down to this:

Credited for years of active duty through 2001 (the
program was done away with in January 2002)

Up to $1200 per year of earnings credit (see below
website and note for more detail)

Credited at time of application

Bring in DD-214 to Social Security Office - you must ask
for this benefit to receive it.

Soc Sec website:

For those of you who do not have this info, it is
something to put in your files for when you apply for Social Security
down the road.

It is not just for retirees but anyone who has served on
active duty prior to January 2002.

Note: Change in special military service credits.
In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act,
stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military
service personnel. Military service in calendar year 2002 and future
years no longer qualifies for these special extra earnings.

Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for your military
service from 1940 through 2001 can be credited to your record for Social
Security purposes. These extra earnings may help you qualify for Social
Security or increase the amount of your Social Security benefit.

Special extra earnings are granted for periods of active duty or active
duty for training. Special extra earnings are not g ranted for inactive
duty training.

Social Security cannot add these extra earnings to your record until you
file for Social Security benefits.

How You Get Credit For Special Extra Earnings The information that
follows applies only to active duty military service earnings from 1940
through 2001. Here's how the special extra earnings are credited:

Service In 1978 through 2001
For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an
additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. If you
enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn't complete at least 24 months
of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the
additional earnings. Check with Social Security for details.

Service In 1957 Through 1977
You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar
quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.

Service In 1940 Through 1956
If you were in the military during this period, including attendance at
a service academy, you did not pay Social Security taxes. However, your
Social Security record may be credited with $160 a month in earnings for
military service from September 16, 1940, through December 31, 1956,
under the following circumstances:

You were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you
were released because of a disability or injury received in the line of
duty; or You are still on active duty; or You are applying for survivors
benefits and the veteran died while on active duty.
You cannot receive credit for these special extra earnings if you are
already receiving a federal benefit based on the same years of service.
There is one exception: If you were on active duty after 1956, you can
still get the special earnings for 1951 through 1956, even if you're
receiving a military retirement based on service during that period.